PREVIEWS: "Daredevil," "Totally Awesome Hulk" & More Marvel Comics on Sale December 2, 2015
Say what you will as either a fan of the franchise or movies in general about G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, but when news broke that Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick came on board to pen the script, I suddenly became very excited about the prospect of a sequel. Since then, however, things quieted down, with little news on the Joe front. Then all of a sudden, it’s been “Go, Joe!” for the past month, with the latest bit of news coming from MTV Movies Blog’s interview with Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner.
We previously reported that F. Gary Gray and Justin Chu were top contenders to take over directing duties on the G.I. Joe sequel. In his interview with MTV, Goldner gave an update on the state of the directorial hunt and whether original director Stephen Sommers is officially out of the running.
“I don’t know if I can comment,” Goldner said. “I don’t know if the studio has commented yet. But we’re certainly talking to some people.”
Goldner also shared a bit on the story, saying the sequel manages to stand on its own but still gives a bit of a nod to the original film. In fact, while the cliffhanger from the original — with Zartan impersonating the president of the United States — comes into play, they plan on establishing this status quo quick enough that seeing the first film isn’t a prerequisite.
“Obviously, we know coming out of the first film that the president is an impostor,” Goldner said. “You might begin with the knowledge of having your president as an impostor. What would that mean? From that, you can tell a very big story without only having to rely on the chronology of the first film.”
Now we know a little more about the direction of the upcoming film, and knowing is half the battle. The other half here is executing it all properly, so let’s hope they can do that.