Ayer Reveals Jared Leto's Tattooed "Suicide Squad" Joker
It’s been exactly a month since we last heard any news about Ant-Man, the long-in-development Marvel Studios project from director Edgar Wright and his screenwriting collaborator Joe Cornish. At the time, Wright said he was returning to the script for the first time since he began work on Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
Since then, not a whole lot has changed. However, it does look like the duo will be wrapping up the latest draft soon. “We’re currently working on it, not right now,” Cornish told The Playlist Sunday at SXSW. “But the day after tomorrow we’ll go to Los Angeles and … [nods to Wright].”
Interestingly enough, Wright revealed to the movie website that their involvement with Ant-Man goes back even further than 2006, when he became attached as director and writer: “Weirdly, the treatment for Ant-Man exists before Marvel Studios. There was a treatment that Joe and I did when Artisan had the kind of lower-rung Marvel properties and we wrote a treatment for it that exists before Hot Fuzz. Basically, when I met Kevin Feige I said, ‘Oh, did you ever get our Ant-Man treatment?’ and he had never read it so we submitted it properly like four years later. So it’s something me and Joe have genuinely been working on for nearly a decade and at some point we’ll finish the script.”
Yes, nearly a decade. But “at some point” appears to be (fingers crossed) much sooner, rather than later. The Playlist took away from the exchange that Wright and Cornish will likely polish and submit the latest draft soon after their return to Los Angeles.
Wright has described Ant-Man as “essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power,” with a level of comedy on par with that of Iron Man. “The idea is to make a high-concept genre film where it’s within another genre,” he said in June. “His suit and its power is the big gadget and it takes place in the real world. I just wanted to do something that was slightly different than the superhero origin film. I felt that between that and the various mad scientist, crazy doctor films that we’ve all seen, this would be a way into an origin that was slightly different.”
Wright, who of course also directed and co-wrote 2004’s Shaun of the Dead, also revealed to Collider at SXSW that he’d been asked to helm an episode of The Walking Dead. However, he turned down the offer from executive producer Frank Darabont.
“Frank asked me to do a Walking Dead, actually,” Wright said. “But I feel that there’s some subject matter that, like, even though it’d be great– and I love that show: I actually watched four of the six episodes uninterrupted in one run; it was like zombie Pringles – I think that with something like that, with some TV shows, you wanna be in on the ground floor. […] I really enjoyed the first season, and I wouldn’t wanna be the guy that comes in and fucks it up.”