Axel-In-Charge: "Secret Wars" Jam Session Talking "A-Force," "Ultimate End" and More
While rumors have circulated for several weeks, Hugh Jackman has at last confirmed that The Wolverine won’t begin filming until sometime next year, once he’s finished Les Misérables.
“I think Les Mis is my next movie — in fact, I know that — and then after that we’ll shoot it,” the actor told Leicester Square TV at the U.K. premiere of Real Steel. “We start shooting next year.”
Director Tom Hooper’s adaptation of the acclaimed musical is set to begin principal photography in mid-March, which would likely push The Wolverine to late summer or early fall 2012 at the earliest, nearly a year after Jackman recently said it would begin production.
Based on the 1982 by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller that sent Logan to Japan to battle ninjas and the politics of the Tokyo criminal underworld for the heart of his ex-lover, The Wolverine was dealt twin setbacks in March with the devastating earthquake in Japan and the surprise departure of director Darren Aronofsky, who was unwilling to be out of the United States, away from his family, for the duration of the production.
In June, 20th Century Fox selected James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma, Walk the Line) to replace Aronofsky, seemingly putting the production back on track, even if questions remained about the ability to shoot in a post-earthquake Japan. Jackman said just weeks later that cameras would roll this fall, seven months behind schedule; a Vancouver newspaper even reported the studio had carved out a four-month window, beginning Nov. 11, at the Canadian Motion Picture Park. For whatever reasons, neither of those timetables panned out.
The screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie), which had been praised by Jackman and Claremont, is being rewritten by Mark Bomback, who penned the upcoming Total Recall remake.
(via Splash Page)