Michael Pitt, D.J. Cotrona Among
Actors Vying for Akira Role
Although Ezra Miller isn’t interested in playing Tetsuo in Akira, plenty of other young actors are reportedly interested in starring opposite Garrett Hedlund in Warner Bros.’ live-action adaptation.
According to Heat Vision, the studio lined up key screen tests yesterday and today, with an aim toward casting the role of the young telekinetic gang member by Thanksgiving. Those reading for the role reportedly include:
- D.J. Cotrona, the G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation actor who’s been mentioned as a contender to play Bruce Willis’ son in It’s a Good Day to Die Hard
- Logan Marshal Green, who appeared in M. Night Shyamalan’s Devil and Ridley Scott’s upcoming Prometheus
- Toby Kebbell, the RocknRolla actor who’s featured in the upcoming Wrath of the Titans
- Richard Madden, who plays Robb Stark in HBO’s Game of Thrones
- Rami Malek, who’s best known for his role in HBO’s The Pacific
- Michael Pitt, the breakout star of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire
- Paul Dano, the Cowboys & Aliens who’s also been mentioned in conjunction with the Die Hard role
- Alden Ehrenreich, the Tetro actor who was previously mentioned with Miller for Akira
Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, the $90 million Akira is based on Katsuhiro Otomo’s landmark cyberpunk manga and anime set in a post-apocalyptic New-Tokyo — New Manhattan in the Warner Bros. film — gripped by gang violence and anti-government terrorism. When young gang member Tetsuo manifests telepathic powers, he draws the attention of the government, which fears he poses a threat.
Twilight star Kristen Stewart has been offered the role of Ky Reed (Kei in the manga and anime), a young revolutionary who becomes the love interest of carefree gang leader Kaneda (Hedlund) during the search for his friend Tetsuo.
Production is expected to begin on Akira in late February or early March.