Luke Cage History: From Hero for Hire to Hollywood
TV, Comic Books
Earlier this year, it was announced that the Simon West-directed sequel to Lionsgate’s action star-palooza Expendables would sport a PG-13 rating instead of the R that the original so firmly earned. Lately, though, rumblings about the sequel moving back to its violent and bloody roots have been heard. Empire talked to star Dolph Lundgren, who said he’s been hearing the same things.
“I heard that it’s now R again,” he said. “Stallone’s basic setting is to make it very violent. That’s just in his personality, and if it was me I would do the same. I guess the producers figure they can make another $50m if it’s PG-13, and if it was my money I might say the same thing! But I think for the fans, if it’s tougher it’s better.”
Lundgren went on to say that Chuck Norris, who joins the franchise with this sequel, has his own editor to cut the film down to whatever rating he might want.
Expendables 2 brings mercenaries Stallone, Lundgren, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture and Terry Crews back together, and adds Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Liam Hemmsworth. Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who both had cameos in the original, will also return in larger roles. The film opens Aug. 17.