REVIEW: "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a Lot of Fun, a Little Flawed, and Whedon All the Way
Comic Books, Film
Warner Bros. Animation has no plans to rest on its laurels. Although Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 just arrived Jan. 29, they’re already releasing details about the May-releasing Superman Unbound, the next installment in a long line of direct-to-DVD animated features based on DC Comics storylines.
Unbound takes its cues from the Geoff Johns-written, Gary Frank-drawn 2008 Action Comics arc that found Superman doing battle with an upgraded version of Brainiac, a supreme intelligence that goes around the universe stealing cities from planets and bottling them.
The animated film stars the voice talent of Matt Bomer (White Collar) as Superman and Clark Kent, Molly Quinn (Castle) as his cousin Supergirl, Stana Katic (Castle) as Lois Lane, and John Noble (Fringe) as Brainiac.
In anticipation of the film’s release, WBA revealed the list of special features as well as the DVD and Blu-ray box. Here’s the details:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Featurette – “Kandor: History of the Bottle City” – An all-new featurette. Kandor: a peaceful scientific community dedicated toward the preservation of all that is good on Krypton, the home world of Superman. That is, until the city was ripped from its world and placed into a small glass bottle! This is the short story highlighting the shrunken city of Kandor. Its history just as fascinating as it is unique, here is how it ties in directly with the Man of Tomorrow.
• Featurette – “Brainiac: Technology and Terror” – An all-new featurette. Mostly machine, but part sentient being, Brainiac steals cities and destroys worlds. Is he the most vile of Superman’s villainous foes? Experience the Brainiac mythology and find out why Superman barely stands a chance!
• Audio Commentary – Featuring members of the creative team: Mike Carlin, Bob Goodman and James Tucker.
• Four bonus episodes from Superman: The Animated Series (“The Last Son of Krypton, Part 1”; “New Kids in Town”; and “Little Girl Lost, Parts 1 & 2”), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
• Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.
• Sneak Peek at Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
As you can see, in addition to listing all the fim’s additional content, they also announced the name of the Flashpoint movie which we first heard about back in April. It’s now called Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.
Superman Unbound lands in stores on May 7. If you missed it the first time around or just want to give it another look, here’s the trailer: