UPDATE: "The Flash" Hasn't Cast Savitar, Says Berlanti
TV, Comic Books
Josh Trank, director of Chronicle and Fox’s upcoming Fantastic Four reboot, has been tapped to helm one of the standalone Star Wars films.
The announcement this morning by Disney and Lucasfilm follows the revelation late last month that Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will spearhead the first of the spinoffs, set for release on Dec. 16, 2016.
“We’re thrilled to welcome Josh into the family,” Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement. “He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.”
“The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood,” Trank added. “The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time.”
Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed in February 2013 that the studio is developing a series of standalone Star Wars films separate from the new trilogy, with the first two rumored to focus on Boba Fett and a young Han Solo.
Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, is shooting now for release on Dec. 18, 2015.